NPA Drops Khumalo Fraud Case; Crime Intelligence Leadership Cleared
Crime & Investigation

NPA Drops Khumalo Fraud Case; Crime Intelligence Leadership Cleared

Prosecutors withdraw charges against Crime Intelligence leadership after qualification evidence emerges

PRETORIA, 21 August 2026. State advocate Joy Hlatywayo stood before Pretoria Magistrate’s Court on Friday and delivered a single, unambiguous instruction: the National Prosecuting Authority was withdrawing all fraud and corruption charges against Crime Intelligence head Dumisani Khumalo and six of his staff, unconditionally and in full.

The withdrawal ended a prosecution that had run through two separate arrest cycles since June 2025. The court accepted the decision and barred the matter from being re-enrolled without express written approval from National Director of Public Prosecutions Andy Mothibi. “All the charges against all of you have been withdrawn by the public prosecutor. You are free to go,” the magistrate told the accused.

Khumalo faced the charges alongside Brigadier Dineo Mokwele, Major-General Philani Lushaba, Major-General Nosipho Precious Madondo, Major-General Josias Lekalakala, Major-General Zwelithini Gabela and Brigadier Phindile Ncube. The prosecution had centred on Mokwele’s appointment to the rank of brigadier within Crime Intelligence’s Technical Support Services. The Investigating Directorate Against Corruption alleged the appointment was irregular and that Mokwele lacked the necessary qualifications and police experience for the role.

That central allegation collapsed during proceedings before the Madlanga Commission of Inquiry. Former Idac head advocate Andrea Johnson acknowledged under questioning that Mokwele did in fact hold the required industrial engineering qualification for her technical support position. The concession pulled the foundation from beneath the state’s case.

What changed: the officials had been arrested in June 2025, then again in June 2026. The state had suspended execution of arrest warrants for some of them after determining they were essential to the security cluster ahead of the 30 June anti-illegal immigration protests. That operational consideration appears to have influenced the timing of the withdrawal.

Hlatywayo left no room for ambiguity in court. “My instructions are that the state is withdrawing unconditionally,” she told the magistrate. The defence team for Mokwele, listed as accused number seven, accepted the withdrawal without objection.

The outcome is a significant reversal for the Investigating Directorate Against Corruption, which pursued the matter through two arrest cycles before prosecutors concluded the evidence could not sustain the allegations. The qualification question at the heart of the case was resolved not through trial, but through testimony at a separate commission of inquiry.

The seven officials can now resume their duties inside a security cluster that remains under operational pressure. Whether the Madlanga Commission’s proceedings will produce further scrutiny of how the original prosecution was assembled is a question that remains open.

Q&A

What charges were withdrawn and against whom?

All fraud and corruption charges against Crime Intelligence head Dumisani Khumalo and six staff members (Brigadier Dineo Mokwele, Major-General Philani Lushaba, Major-General Nosipho Precious Madondo, Major-General Josias Lekalakala, Major-General Zwelithini Gabela and Brigadier Phindile Ncube) were withdrawn unconditionally by the National Prosecuting Authority.

What was the central allegation in the case?

The Investigating Directorate Against Corruption alleged that Brigadier Dineo Mokwele's appointment to brigadier rank within Crime Intelligence's Technical Support Services was irregular and that she lacked the necessary qualifications and police experience for the role.

What evidence caused the case to collapse?

During proceedings before the Madlanga Commission of Inquiry, former Idac head advocate Andrea Johnson acknowledged under questioning that Mokwele did in fact hold the required industrial engineering qualification for her technical support position, undermining the state's central allegation.

What was the timeline of arrests and prosecution?

The officials were arrested in June 2025, then again in June 2026. The state had suspended execution of arrest warrants for some after determining they were essential to the security cluster ahead of the 30 June anti-illegal immigration protests before ultimately withdrawing all charges.

Related articles

  1. 1 Crime & Investigation Former Beauty Pageant Contestant Challenges South Africa Citizenship Case in Court
  2. 2 Crime & Investigation Court Ruling Will Determine if South Africa Builds New Coal Plants
  3. 3 Crime & Investigation Court ruling Wednesday on detention status for Nigerian pageant contestant Adetshina
  4. 4 Crime & Investigation Constitutional Court Blocks Shell Oil Exploration Off South Africa's Wild Coast
  5. 5 Crime & Investigation Shell's Wild Coast Exploration License Voided: Court Halts Offshore Project Entirely